10/14/2010

Thanks for the Memories...

Lots of fun on Thanksgiving weekend and, as usual, we covered a lot of ground!

Auntie Maggie was here from BC and she stayed at our house for a sleepover on Friday night. On Saturday we all drove up to Penetanguishine for a beautiful walk at the Wye Marsh. We walked on the boardwalk, explored the various buildings and shelters and fed chickadees from our hands! (Well actually we tricked the chickadees, because we didn't actually have any grains, but they landed on our hands anyways.) We helped the Korean tourists feed the chickadees fake grain too. They loved it - they screeched and screamed with delight (the tourists that is, not the chickadees)!

After the gorgeous walk, it was turkey dinner with all the fixin's, chez Keachie-Donaldson. A hot topic of conversation was that my great-uncle on my dad's side (Grandma's brother) is in the running for Mayor of Penetang in the upcoming municipal elections!
Dad wanted to 'borrow' a 'Vote for Gerry Marshall' lawn sign (but he didn't).

We drove home Saturday night, then got up and at 'em in good time Sunday and headed to Toronto to see my uncle Anton, Gran and Grandad - and to eat some more turkey.

Here are a few highlights from the weekend; we are still waiting for a few more pictures to come through from fellow Thanksgiving revelers...




me in the 'teepee'


Me, Auntie Mags and Daddy on the trails
(looks like Dad's head is growing out of Auntie Maggie's!)


One of the observation decks on the boardwalk.



Checking out the wildlife in the marsh.

Checking out some of the wildlife at Gran and Grandad's house...


Me and Unc. Ant.



I got some very cool glow-bracelets that I plan to wear out for Halloween
(although I still haven't decided on a costume)


Me on a pumpkin with one of the winners of the 'beautiful leaf' contest


Grandad and I in the garden.


This year's Thanksgiving was really the first for me, as I now understand what the concept of 'being thankful' is all about.
As a matter of course, our team-of-three talks a lot about the things we are grateful for and why we are so lucky.
I was surprised to learn that there is a special holiday all about being thankful; I like that. It's good to be reminded of all the reasons we are so unbelievably fortunate.

So here we go...

Top 5 Reasons I Have to be Thankful

5. I am strong and healthy; I have no allergies, illnesses or deformities.

4. I live in the best country in the world, Canada.

3. I live in the best city in Canada, Guelph.

2. I am beloved by so many;
although I am an 'only', I am not lonely.

1. As Raffi says,
'all I really need is a song in my heart, food in my belly and love in my family'.
I have all three and so much more.

No comments: